As part of the Corporate Finance and Accounting team, the Accounting Director of Shared Services position will play a key role in managing accounts receivable and accounts payable, managing cash flow, monitoring both DSO and DPO for both the Active Living Group, driving the budget preparation, re-forecast, review process for multiple business groups, and other needs by the finance department.
This role involves management and accuracy of a month-end close, payments to vendors are processed in terms and cash is collected in a timely fashion to maintain the company’s cash flow forecast, providing business and operational analysis support to local group management, evaluating the financial feasibility of existing and new business initiatives, and proactively engaged in controlling overhead expenditures. The Director of Accounting-Shared Services will also serve as the key liaison between other support departments across the company in terms of information flow, reconciliation, research, and ad hoc analysis.
How You Will Make A Difference:
- Responsible for the complete and accurate recording of all corporate cash receipts and cash disbursement transactions in a timely manner in compliance with GAAP employing a clean cutoff of transactions at month-end
- Assigning credit limits and terms for all corporate revenue customers,
- Ensure Salesforce approvals are processed and follow corporate set guidelines
- Ensure Salesforce transactions are validated and processed into Oracle for accurate recording
- In conjunction with the Group Business Manager, ensure the allowance for doubtful account balance for the group fairly and reasonably provides for any potential bad debt write-offs in the future
- Meet with finance team on monthly aging reporting and DSO notes for Board meetings
- Ensure the monthly reconciliation of the general ledger balances of AR Trade and AP Trade which agree to the detailed group listing/aging of each are performed.
- Ensure all cash is posted in accounting system in a timely manner
- Ensure clear accounts are open and available for accurate reporting
- Maintain a PCI compliant process with cash applications team
- Work with the finance team- in monitoring AP inbox, setting up vendors, and ensuring that vendor invoices are entered into oracle with appropriate coding and approvals
- Oversight in T&E and company credit card policies and ensure expense reports follow them
- Work with the finance team to ensure vendor paperwork is accurate and up to date with W-9’s
- Assist with the year-end 1099 process
- Work with finance team and management on weekly check run and approval list
- Work with payroll to onboard and offboard employees from the accounting system
- Assist with the preparation of board reports and analytics as required monthly, quarterly or annually
- Assist with the annual audit and any bank or governmental agency audits
- Strategic Business planning including monthly, quarterly forecasting, and yearly zero-based budgeting duties, partnering with company leadership
- Continually identify and assess risk and opportunities on both revenue and expenses
- Prepare and present monthly financial reporting packages to company leadership – analyzing trends, focusing on execution of strategic initiatives, performance, and profit while adhering to GAAP standards
- Play key role in commission planning, target development, and monthly reporting
- Analyze and track weekly/monthly/quarterly multi-channel revenue streams such as print and digital advertising, newsstand, subscriptions, amazon, Google, iTunes, licensing, marketing services, memberships, IP, sponsorship, as well as focus on actionable P&L expense management
- Partner with sales, marketing, production, and circulation departments to monitor budgets and suggest cost-saving measures
- Review custom circulation and distribution models to ensure forecast accuracy while cross-checking book sizes and print orders
- Help drive finance department initiatives and support continuous efforts in operational efficiency
- Prepare ad hoc analyses as requested from group and executive management
- Acquisition integration as needed
What You Bring
- Minimum of 7 years of work experience in performing the essential functions and responsibilities of the position in a medium to large company (100 million +) with a large volume of transactions.
- Publishing, media or event management industry experience preferred.
- Highly skilled in budgeting, forecasting, and financial modeling
- Understanding of and experience managing and accounting for all transactions in every accounting cycle (Sales order, invoicing, AR, credit & collection, cash receipts, purchase requisitions, purchase orders, fixed assets, AP, cash disbursements, accruals & prepaids, payroll, and general ledger)
- In-depth understanding of month-end closing processes and specifically the closing process for payables and receivables.
- Experience managing credit risk and evaluating the creditworthiness of corporate customers, new and existing, for credit limits and credit terms. Experience working with external collection agencies and attorneys on unpaid past due accounts the Company has provided them to attempt collection.
- Knowledge of relevant credit and collection laws as they relate to corporate revenue collections.
- Experience managing to the established company DSO for Accounts Receivable Trade and the ability to mentor and motivate the group collectors to achieve goals whilst ensuring all internal accounting and collection employees are professionally communicated with as well as the corporate revenue customer accounts, the company sales management, and the sales personnel.
- Ability to successfully develop cash forecasting models and analysis to support both the groups and the corporate business activities and new initiatives
- In-depth knowledge of GAAP and revenue recognition rule
- High-level computer skills using Microsoft applications and advanced proficiency in Excel including MS Excel table functionality, MS query, and SQL query skills
- Experience in working with a GSuite preferred but not required
- Experience in working with the Salesforce lightning & its CPQ platform or a comparable CRM technology
- Knowledge of Oracle Fusion Cloud ERP and Oracle ECPBS
- Experience in working with a multi-module Tier I or II ERP system such as Oracle, SAP, Sage, JD Edwards or NetSuite
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively work with, coach, mentor, and supervise collectors and corporate receivable and payable accountants.
- Proven ability to efficiently and effectively work with senior management, the accounting staff, the company’s sales personnel, and management as well as interacting with customers as issues arise with collectability and orders on hold
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance or Accounting required
- MBA, CMA, or CPA designation preferred
If you are interested in submitting an application, please upload your cover letter and resume here.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.