Managing Editor of BRAIN & BicycleRetailer.com
Pocket Outdoor Media, LLC (POM) owns and operates the world’s leading endurance sports media brands, including Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, VeloNews, Triathlete, Women’s Running, Competitor.com and VeloPress. The company is based in Boulder, Colorado.
Pocket Outdoor Media, LLC is seeking a driven, proactive and detail-oriented Managing Editor to join our team in Boulder! As Managing Editor your primary responsibility will be oversight of editorial production and management of BRAIN magazine and BicycleRetailer.com. The Managing Editor plans, assigns, edits and writes content for the magazine and website under the direction of the Editor-in-Chief. The candidate should have a passion for producing and managing exceptional business journalism, an interest in bicycle retailing and the bicycle industry, and possess an unparalleled attention to detail.
- Contributes ideas as the staff develops a story budget for each magazine issue.
- Works with staff and freelance writers to assign, edit, and fact check articles for print and web.
- Works with the art director to create compelling pages, including writing headlines, proof reading, securing photos and other art and adjusting copy to fit.
- Follows beats within the industry, pursues stories including breaking business news, features, analysis and regular features.
- Edits and copyedits stories for content and style.
- Travels as needed to conferences and other events, domestically and internationally.
- Contributes as a strong team player to execute the vision of the Editor-in-Chief.
What You’ll Need to Succeed in this Role:
- Bachelors or advanced degree in journalism or related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5-10 years experience in similar role
- Experience working with outside contractor/freelancers in print and online environment
- Superior grammar, punctuation, style and spelling skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to work independently (multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively) and take initiative
- Experience with InDesign and InSite preferred
- The ideal candidate thrives in fast-paced environments, is extremely organized with a fine attention to detail and produces high quality work while meeting tight deadlines.
- An interest in cycling, bicycle retailing and the bicycle industry is a plus (but not required)
The company offers a strong benefits package and a salary commensurate with background and experience. If you’re qualified and interested, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.