Pocket Outdoor Media is seeking a driven, proactive and detail-oriented Managing Editor to join our team in Boulder! As Managing Editor your primary responsibility will be oversight of editorial content production of Women’s Running print and digital properties. The Managing Editor plans, assigns, edits and writes content for Women’s Running magazine and WomensRunning.com under the direction of the Editor-in-Chief. The candidate should have a passion for exceptional editorial content and the fitness industry, and unparalleled attention to detail. This position requires sharpened communication and people skills, creative thinking, strict attention to detail, and an exceptional ability to organize, coordinate, and multi-task. This position is full-time in Women’s Running’s office in Boulder, Colorado.
Key responsibilities include:
- Generating story ideas; planning, assigning, editing, and writing content; overseeing editorial calendars
- Maintaining regular correspondence with editorial team to discuss editorial, design, ad sales, deadlines, and overall production processes
- Setting and maintaining production deadlines for editorial, design, ad sales, etc.
- Assigning, overseeing and managing spending for all freelance and in-house assignments for both web and print
- Scheduling the online editorial presence, deliverables and programs
- Writes, edits and copyedits stories for clarity, readability, interest, punctuation and grammar
- Contributes as a strong team player to execute vision of Editor-in-Chief
- Liaises with ad sales team to ensure all sales package assets are gathered and properly executed
- Attend industry events as needed as a representative of Women’s Running
What You’ll Need to Succeed in this Role
- Bachelors or advanced degree in journalism or a related field or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 5-10 years experience in a similar role
- Experience working with outside contractors/freelancers in print and online environment
- Proven experience in an Editor role (preferably managerial)
- Working knowledge of online platforms such as WordPress, SEO concepts, social media and analytics
- Superior grammar, punctuation, style and spelling skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Experience with InDesign and InSite a plus
Work Environment: This job operates in a media/publishing setting.
Benefits package: Medical, dental, vision, 401k, unlimited vacation
Travel: This position may require some travel.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work: Full time. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
If you are interested in submitting an application, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status. Any offer of employment is contingent upon the results of a pre-employment reference check.