Develops leads, manages active accounts, and builds territory of non-endemic advertisers for Company’s media brands (VeloNews, Triathlete, Podium Runner & Women’s Running), from a business, sales, marketing and technical perspective. Works with Group Sales Director to build budget. Initiates and manages discussions and sales activities with all sponsors and agencies. Provides feedback in the development of sales marketing materials including media kits, reader surveys and specific issue promotions. Must be intimately familiar with digital business models and technologies. Responsible for directing and implementing effective trade advertising campaigns, and ensuring all advertising efforts work toward the organization’s overall goals and objectives. A wide degree of creativity and initiative is expected.
Scope and Impact
Scope and impact is Company-wide. Revenue generated from the sales department strongly affects the bottom-line profits of overall POM enterprise.
Key Competencies Required
• Ability to develop strong relationships with clients
• Familiarity with various Fitness, Health, CPG, Financial, Auto brands, etc.
• Sales closing ability
• Ability and willingness to build a robust pipeline in our CRM (Boostr) in order to achieve sales targets and allow transparency to management team.
• Must accomplish heavy prospecting along with managing an existing, active account list
• Strong grasp on new media marketing
• Communication proficiency. Necessary with all levels inside the company as well as outside customers, vendors, etc.
• Strong background in media sales and sales techniques. Must be familiar with digital business models and technologies.
• Knowledge of outdoor sports market/industry, specifically cycling, multisport, and running.
• Must be able to assess options and convey opinions effectively to Group Sales Director.
• Must be sensitive to company goals as well as the individual brand.
• Interpersonal Skills: Necessary to deal effectively with a wide range of personalities – both within the company and outside.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time remote position based in NYC. Evening and weekend work may be required as job duties demand.
Work Environment: This job operates in a media/publishing setting.
Benefits package: Medical, dental, vision, 401k, unlimited vacation.
Travel: This position requires travel.
Required Education, Experience and other Skills
• Bachelor’s degree beneficial
• Three-years (minimum) of proven, hands-on, sales experience in a rigorous, time-sensitive media environment
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills
• Strong analytical and organizational skills
• Self-motivated and self-directed
• Ability to work closely with senior management team
• Ability to use Google Slides, Keynote, and other presentation tools. Boostr knowledge a plus.
• Must respect well-known advertising/editorial integrity of POM media brands
• Must work to improve advertising yields while simultaneously increasing volume
• Develop and expand advertising categories – new non-endemic and endemic sponsors, event-win advertising, events, etc.
Please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pocket Outdoor Media, Inc. (POM) owns and operates the world’s leading endurance sports media brands, including VeloNews, Triathlete, Women’s Running, PodiumRunner.com, Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, and VeloPress. Collectively, our titles engage and influence more than seven million endurance athletes every month.