Pocket Outdoor Media is seeking a Photo Editor to join our Creative Department. We’re looking for a multi-talented artist who is just as happy behind the camera as they are at their desk. You enjoy supporting a team of writers and editors in producing upwards of 24 print magazines per year, as well as contributing to the websites of each brand. The Photo Editor will be shooting original photography for the print magazines and websites, you need to be comfortable on location and in the studio. You will be part of a two-person photo team that addresses the photography needs for all titles, including marketing needs and social media promotion of the brands. Other daily tasks include digital asset management, photo shoot production, photo research and licensing.
This position is full-time from the Pocket Outdoor Media office in Boulder, Colorado. The Photo Editor will report directly to the Photography Director. There will be some travel required for this position.
• Acting as an in-house photographer and photo editor for four endurance sports titles, and the VeloPress book division
• Working with the editorial team to develop the vision of covers, feature stories, and product reviews
• Ability to work quickly, adapt to changing priorities, and complete a list of daily assignments.
• Must be Highly organized, detail oriented, and excellent communication skills.
• Creating shot lists and planning for upcoming photo shoots
• The ability to shoot gear, lifestyle images, and portraits with an editorial focus
• Working hand-in-hand with the Photo Director and each editorial team to fulfill the photo needs for each title
• Working with the Social Media Editor to ensure all stories have great Instagram options
• Sharing photography production and photo research duties within the two-person photo department
• Some travel as required to shoot feature stories, races and events, trade-shows, product launches, etc.
The perfect candidate is extremely organized. They have a good eye for photography and make appropriate photo selections to illustrate editorial content in an authentic and inspiring way. They thrive working in a fast-paced environment and can keep multiple balls in the air at all times. This person is also a talented photographer who also wants to flex their editorial muscles.
• Three or more years of experience as a photojournalist or editorial photographer
• Experience working closely and collaboratively with editorial, social, and photo teams
• Expert level of comfort within Photoshop (digital file formats, retouching, metadata, and color correction) is essential.
• A basic familiarity with the Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Bridge, Illustrator, etc.) is helpful.
• Familiarity with Canon and Sony camera systems and studio lighting
• Strong organizational skills, a self-directed work style, and polished communication skills
• Comfortable working on location and in the studio
• Strong ability to think conceptually and help develop the visuals required to tell a story or support editorial content
• Knowledge of endurance sports is a plus.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Pocket Outdoor Media, Inc. (POM) owns and operates the world’s leading endurance sports media brands, including VeloNews, Triathlete, Women’s Running, PodiumRunner.com, Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, and VeloPress. Collectively, our titles engage and influence more than seven million endurance athletes every month.