Triathlete’s Report Is the Most In-Depth Study of the Triathlon Market Made Public Since 2015
Boulder, Colorado, USA — March 21, 2019 — Triathlete magazine, the world’s #1 resource for triathletes, has just released its new audience study as a free download to the endurance sports industry, marketers, and agencies. The Triathlete 2018 Audience Study offers a treasure trove of market research on triathletes and triathlon enthusiasts and reveals the high dedication of this unique sport’s participants. The sport of triathlon has not seen a public release of market research of this breadth and depth since 2015. The Triathlete 2018 Audience Study is now available as a free download from triathlete.com/study.
For this remarkable report, Triathlete asked 4,465 triathletes 87 detailed questions on how much they train and race, their favorite race distances and brands, which retailers they prefer, their use of fitness equipment and technology, social media preferences, swim-bike-run brand ownership and which gear they are shopping for now. The Triathlete 2018 Audience Study includes brand ownership and intent to buy responses for 425 brands in 18 product categories including bicycles, wetsuits and swimwear, shoes, apparel, coaching, races, wearable tech, sports watches, cycling tech, headphones, fitness equipment, trainers, eyewear, and sports nutrition.
Key Findings of the Triathlete 2018 Audience Study
- Training and Racing: Triathlete’s audience spends an incredible 10 hours each week swimming, riding, running, crosstraining, and in active recovery from workouts.
- Spending: Triathlete’s audience is among the most active consumers in all of endurance sports, spending an average of over $5,700 each year on triathlon-related gear, services, and travel to races and events. That’s a 17% increase since our 2014 audience study. In most product categories, 1 in 4 triathletes is actively shopping for new gear and up to 50% are unsure which brands they will buy next.
- Racing: It’s no surprise Triathlete’s audience races frequently. The favorite race distances are sprint triathlons (2.7 per year), Olympic (2.1 per year), and half-distance (1.8 per year). Almost two-thirds of Triathlete readers also participate often in running races. Nearly half also participated in open-water swimming that wasn’t part of a triathlon.
- Loyalty: Our readers are loyal to Triathlete; the average reader has been reading us for 7 years! 96% have taken action after seeing a product or service in Triathlete.
- Technology Use: 98% of our readers use some kind of fitness tech during workouts. 46% use them with every workout.
Pocket Outdoor Media is the leading publisher in endurance sports. From web to print, podcast to social, the most active and influential consumers in cycling, triathlon, and running engaged with our content 311 million times last year. Our brands include VeloNews, America’s leading bike racing media brand; Triathlete, the world’s #1 triathlon resource; Women’s Running, the most popular resource for women runners; Competitor Running, the most trusted resource for performance-minded runners; Bicycle Retailer & Industry News, the world’s leading bicycle trade journal; and VeloPress, the world’s leading publisher of books on endurance sports. Pocket Outdoor Media is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado.
Dave Trendler, Director of Marketing and Audience Development, email@example.com
Advertising, Sponsorships, and Partnerships
Running and Triathlon
Lars Finanger, Triathlete Director of Sales and Brand Development, firstname.lastname@example.org, (303) 828-8034
Shannon Standefer, Women’s Running & Competitor Running Sales Director, email@example.com, (303) 245-2111
Mark Gouge, National Sales Director, firstname.lastname@example.org, (303) 385-7755
East Coast: Karl Wiedemann, email@example.com, (203) 906-5806
Midwest: Barry Kingwill or Jim Kingwill, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com, (847) 537-9196
Mountain Region: Ellen Butler, firstname.lastname@example.org, (720) 288-0160
West: Gary Newkirk, email@example.com
Pocket Outdoor Media
3002 Sterling Circle, Ste 100
Boulder, CO USA 80301