The VeloNews 2018 Audience Study Reveals Surprising Insights for Marketers and Agencies
Boulder, Colorado, USA — July 26, 2018 — VeloNews, America’s leading bike racing media brand, has released its comprehensive 2018 Audience Study as a free download for the cycling industry, advertisers and marketers, and enthusiasts. Download the study from velonews.com/study.
The VeloNews 2018 Audience Study is a detailed, 116-page report that draws from a large sample of 5,200 reader responses to 74 detailed questions. The study offers in-depth market research on consumer spending habits, brand ownership, intent to buy, reading habits, riding and training habits, race and event participation, work and pleasure travel, replacement value, interests in the sport, technology and app use, social media preferences, and reader value by content channel. The study was conducted by Attlesey Consulting, an independent, third-party market research consultant, and includes GfK MRI indices.
The VeloNews 2018 Audience Study reveals surprising and positive insights into the media engagement, riding, and spending habits of its cycling enthusiast audience.
Key Findings of the VeloNews 2018 Audience Study
- VeloNews Readers Spend on Their Sport: The average VeloNews reader is a 51-year-old male who rides over 8 hours a week. VeloNews readers earn over $211,000 (average HHI) and spend about $6,200 each year on cycling-related gear, services, and travel. Over two-thirds of VeloNews readers plan to buy a bike within the next year and the majority will purchase it from a local bike shop at a median cost of nearly $4,500.
- Market Share Trends: The study includes brand ownership and intent to buy responses for 522 cycling and endurance sports brands in 21 product categories. These questions reveal the U.S. market share of dozens of cycling brands and show which brands are trending up and which can expect to lose customers and revenue.
- Print Is King: The VeloNews print magazine reader is a more active consumer than online readers or social followers. Print magazine readers own more bicycles and spend 20% more on bicycles than social media readers. Print readers would need to spend 27.7% more than a social follower to replace all their cycling-related gear.
- VeloNews Readers Ride More: 98% of VeloNews readers ride every week for a median of over 8 hours of riding time. That’s 213 riding days per year or 416 hours of saddle time.
- VeloNews Readers Race: 2 out of 3 VeloNews readers rode a century ride last year. 1 out of 3 raced in a circuit or road race. Half hold a USA Cycling license.
- VeloNews Holds the Highest Engagement: The nearly 50-year-old VeloNews brand has the most dedicated and loyal readership of any cycling media brand. Magazine subscribers read VeloNews four times more often than any other cycling publication. About 1 in 6 VeloNews readers does not read any other cycling magazine or website. 40% of VeloNews readers have been reading VeloNews for the past 5-14 years with a median readership of 9 years.
“The VeloNews 2018 Audience Study confirmed what I’ve always known; our readers are the best customers in cycling,” commented Felix Magowan, CEO of Pocket Outdoor Media, which publishes VeloNews. “This report is the best market research available on American cycling and the results justify our investment in VeloNews. Look for more good news soon from VeloNews with a new website coming this fall and expanded editorial offerings based on responses to our survey.”
“This report is rock solid,” said Mark Gouge, Publisher of VeloNews. “You cannot find a better audience in cycling than the VeloNews readership. Brands take notice: if you are not working with VeloNews, your competitors are gaining on you.”
VeloNews is America’s leading bike racing media brand and published by Pocket Outdoor Media, the leading publisher in endurance sports. Pocket Outdoor Media brands influence and engage more athletes than any other through a combined print, online, and social audience of 44 million runners, cyclists, triathletes, and swimmers. Our brands include VeloNews, the authoritative voice of cycling; Triathlete, the world’s #1 triathlon resource; Women’s Running, the world’s largest running magazine for women; Competitor.com, the most trusted website for runners; and VeloPress, the world’s leading publisher of books on endurance sports. Pocket Outdoor Media is headquartered in Boulder, Colorado and has an office in San Diego, California. See more at pocketoutdoormedia.com.
Felix Magowan, Chief Executive Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, (303) 245-2167
Advertising, Sponsorships, and Partnerships
Mark Gouge, VeloNews Publisher, email@example.com, (303) 385-7755
Rob Wood, Chief Revenue Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org, (303) 245-2102
Pocket Outdoor Media
3002 Sterling Circle, Ste 100
Boulder, CO USA 80301