Based in Boulder, Colorado, Pocket Outdoor Media (POM) is the leading endurance sports publisher. Our brands influence and engage more athletes than any other through a combined print, online, and social audience of millions of runners, cyclists, triathletes, and swimmers. Content from our brands was viewed over 303 million times last year.
As we rapidly grow our reach, we are seeking two talented and experienced WordPress developers to join our team to assist with developing and maintaining our portfolio of high-traffic publishing sites. Qualified candidates must be well-versed in both front-end and back-end development and will be responsible for development and maintenance of custom themes and plugins.
● Transform visual comps into rich web interactions that are mobile first, fluidly responsive, performant, semantic, and accessible.
● Visualize how a static design will be coded, evaluate for build feasibility and provide constructive feedback to internal and external stakeholders. Proactively flag challenging areas and offer alternatives, as well as identifying areas for greater code reuse.
● Rapidly prototype interfaces to finalize an experience in the browser as well as build long term scalable, maintainable, and performant production code.
● Maintain existing applications, proactively optimize for performance and troubleshoot problems as they arise.
● Respond to and prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced environment.
● 3-5 years of WordPress-specific development experience with deep familiarity with the WordPress ecosystem (plugins, best practices, etc.)
● Strong understanding of HTML and CSS including cross-browser compatibility, mobile technology, performance, and WCAG accessibility compliance.
● Experience using Git.
● Experience with command line tools like WP-CLI, NPM, Yarn, etc.
● Proven ability to transform a static comp into a WordPress site from the ground up.
● Understanding of ad implementations in a responsive environment.
● Experience with task runners and bundlers like Grunt, Gulp, and Webpack.
● Experience with coding PHP, specifically for WordPress as a platform in a high traffic environment, including custom post types, taxonomies, and use of WordPress beyond “blog” use cases.
● Experience with WordPress integrations for Video and Podcasts
● Experience with WordPress integrations for Google Analytics (including building product funnels) and Google DFP.
● Strong knowledge of SEO and how design and engineering decisions can impact search engine performance
● Being collaborative, self-motivated, and an “always-learning” person, excited to create great web experiences.
Nice to have
● Experience creating custom Gutenberg components
● Experience with Docker or Vagrant
● Experience with coded style guides and creating componentized systems.
● Experience with Figma or Design Software.
● Design experience
● Backend PHP experience; i.e plugin or app development.
● SQL scripting experience
● Experience and expertise with third party integrations and client-side APIs.
● Ability to communicate with client stakeholders, both technical and non-technical, about the impact of decisions around markup approach, cross-platform responsive interactions, performance, and topics like accessibility
● Code-based portfolio. Link us to your GitHub account, upload a .zip, or both
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.